In the market there are two sorts of iPhone available for the buyers i.e. locked iPhone and an unlocked iPhone. It is really important for you to check which variant you have purchased. There are many queries regarding the methods to learn how to check if the iPhone is unlocked or not. Generally, with locked or unlocked iPhone we are talking about the situation in which we may find out whether your iPhone is locked to any specific network or not. The major quality of the iPhone is, it can be used to any phone network. This is an important feature of the device. But in case you are not fortunate enough, you may get a locked iPhone which will not be open to any other phone network except for the one it is locked to.
iphone how to check if unlocked
If you are purchasing your iPhone from the Apple Store itself, then the iPhone is unlocked by default. Still, it is just not possible to look at the phone set and tell whether it is locked or unlocked. You can easily check for the lock or unlock condition of your iPhone either from the online resources or through your phone’s settings or even though the sim card. To give you a clearer picture of what it is all about and how does the concept work, let us quickly discuss these top 3 options or ways to resolve the mystery of how to check if iPhone is unlocked.
how to check if phone is unlocked with imei
If you can discover your choice of cellular data, it means that your iPhone can be unlocked, but there is a catch: you have to look it up and make your choice. If this is not a big deal, we can use a free web service called IMEI-Info to check the unlock status of the iPhone. Use your Facebook account and click the button to actually see if your device is locked or unlocked. Use the IMeI amount should be the quickest way, and check to unlock improvements in real time. Follow the below steps.
- Try connecting to your carrier. Just call and connect yourself with them. This is probably the most common and safest way to find whether your iPhone is locked or unlocked.
- Once you are connected with the customer service representative, simply ask them to verify your iPhone’s status. All you need to do is provide them with the required details and information.
- Mostly, they will be requiring your account’s password (if any) and your phone’s IMEI NUMBER.
- To get your phone’s IMEI NUMBER, just go to Settings > General > About > IMEI NUMBER.
- If you have bought your iPhone from the Apple Store or main carrier then it is unlocked by default.
- But if you got it on some corresponding carrier plans, there are chances of phone being locked.
- If you are purchasing a second hand iPhone, from your friends or any other third party, you must ask them whether the iPhone is locked or unlocked.
- If you are buying iPhone from the third-party sources like Amazon and other sites, you will get some of the other kind of notifications printed on the receipt which says “UNLOCKED”, if the phone is unlocked.
- Learn about your iPhone’s current service plan. Get to know what kind of service you are using under that carrier services plan.
- If you are using a prepaid service, your iPhone will be unlocked. But if you are in some kind of contract with the carrier plan (say it a two-year plan), then your iPhone will be carrier locked till the time you pay it off and get finished with it.
Inserting the SIM card of some other carrier
If the phone is locked, you will receive a pop-up error asking you to insert a valid SIM card. To be sure, you should reboot your iPhone, change the SIM cards and you will see a new network name on the screen as if it were unlocked.
If not, then your iPhone is certainly carrier – locked on your carrier and you need to find out by contacting or opening the app. follow the steps below.
- Purchase a SIM card of any other carrier.
- Keep in mind, the SIM that you have purchased should not be a pre-paid SIM card and it must be of the same size, just like the one you ate currently using in your iPhone.
- The first thing to insert a new SIM card is, you will need to press and keep holding your iPhone’s power button.
- A “slide to power off” notification will come up on the screen. Slide it right, to turn off your phone.
- In your iPhone X version, you will be pressing hold the power button and any one of the volume buttons until the notification for the slide to power off pops up.
- Now, you will be required to locate the slot for inserting the SIM card. Generally, in most of the iPhones, this slot is situated somewhat halfway down the right side of the iPhone casing.
- With the help of your SIM ejecting tool, you have to take out the SIM card tray out from the slot in which the tray is installed.
- Once the tray is out, just put the new carrier SIM in the tray (remove the current SIM card) and push the tray inside the slot, again.
- Make sure the tray is safely and properly fitted back into space, before switching on the phone.
- Open your iPhone with the passcode or the fingerprint sensor. If you are asked with an “Activation code” or “SIM Unlock Code”, then your phone is locked.
- If due to some reason the codes are not requested, you just open the “phone” app in your iPhone (a green colour app with a white phone icon).
- Try dialling a number and press the call button. If an error message pops up reading “the call cannot be completed as dialled”, your phone is locked.
Check iPhone settings
Another way to check if your iPhone is unlocked or not is to go to the settings menu and find a specific option and navigate there.
- Open your iPhone setting, by tapping the settings icon in your iPhone application menu.
- Tap on the “cellular data” option.
- Search for the “cellular data network” option.
- If different networks will be displayed on the screen for you to make a choice, then there is no point to worry, as the phone is unlocked.
- But in case, you are not getting any option in the networks, then your phone is locked.
Today we have learned if the iPhone is unlocked or locked. Basically, the lock and unlock is talked in terms of the network carrier. It is to find out, whether your iPhone is locked to any specific carrier or is it free to use any networks. We discussed, the three options to serve the purpose. First, through general methods. Second, by inserting a new SIM card of other carriers. Third, and the last, by checking in our iPhone settings.